Andrei Rublev | 1966
Epic life of the 15th Century artist, virtually the inventor of Russian icon painting, who freed the art form from its foreign influences.
At the beginning of the film, Rublev (Anatoliy Solonitsyn) works at the Church of the Holy Trinity, part of the Trinity Lavra of St Sergius in the town of Sergiyev Posad (formerly Zagorsk) 50 miles northeast of Moscow.
The town grew up around the Monastery, which houses the remains of the Saint and, in the Church of the Assumption, the remains of usurper tsar Boris Godunov.
Rublev's Icon of the Trinity here is a copy – the original is in the Tretyakov Gallery, Lavrushinsky Ln, 10, south of the Moskva in the Zamoskvarechye district of Moscow.
The painter spends most of his life at the Andronikov Monastery in Moscow – in which the painter is interred and which now houses the Andrei Rublev Museum. It's north of Ulianovskaya Street east of the city centre by the Yaouza River (rail: Kursk Station).
He decorates the Dormition Cathedral in Vladimir, the city which is sacked, 100 miles east of Moscow.
You can also see an early icon by Andrei Rublev in the Cathedral of the Annunciation in the Kremlin. It was painted in 1405 for a smaller church which stood on the site, demolished to make way for the cathedral.